Friday, August 7, 2009

Fall is in the Air

When I walked out the other morning to run, I felt a hint of fall in the air, even though the temperature got up to 90 degrees later in the day. The fall, for many, seems to be a kind of “new year”. A time to start over, get going on projects that they have let go over the summer or get back on track as they settle into their fall routine. For me, it reminds me to gear up my running to prepare for one of my favorite race distances – the half marathon.

After running 10K’s and feeling pretty confident with that distance, I set my sights on the half marathon distance, many years ago. Not knowing if I could ever run that far, I began to train. I will never forget finishing my first half marathon. Being a non-runner until my late 20’s, I never thought I could run a 5K, let alone 13.1 miles. It was such a great feeling of accomplishment. Now, 10 marathons later, and many more half marathons, I still love the half marathon the best. As I describe it, the distance is challenging, but you don’t feel like you want to die after it, like you sometimes do with a marathon.

If you have not attempted a half, now is the time to choose one of the wonderful races scheduled for the fall and begin your training. As the weather gets a bit cooler—well, maybe in the next few months – doing a long run in one of the many great running spots in Atlanta, really makes you appreciate our city. The Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day has always been an Atlanta running favorite, but there are many other half marathons that offer great courses and a chance to see a new part of Georgia. Check out the Locomotive Half Marathon on October 4th in Kennesaw. This is a first year for the event, but looks like it is going to be a great one, and a great way to get you ready for the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment